Saturday, November 8, 2008

Vauxhall Corsa Capital

London is chock-full of unique landmarks and Vauxhall have added another.Its not an addition to Big Ben or the Millennium Dome , I’m on about the four wheeled type of Vauxhall, in this case the Vauxhall Corsa Capital.  Only by visiting a London Vauxhall dealer will you be able to pick one up, as Vauxhall aims to show its city car can take on the biggest conurbation in Britain.  To help you deal with not only the congestion, but the charge that goes with it, Vauxhall are enticing Londoners to the Capital – pun intended, with (deep breath): 15” alloy wheels, a CD player that’s MP3 ready, rear spoiler, body coloured bumpers, electric front windows and air conditioning to name but a few, for only a slight price hike over the standard model.

 

Of course the Capital is just one derivative of the all-new Corsa range and the new cars find themselves in the middle of the most competitive sector of motoring – the hatchback.  Crucially then, the new Corsa must score highly in likeability, drivability and price (ability?).As Vauxhall are pitching their Corsa against their biggest rivals Ford and VW it needs to be extremely good to become the best in its market segment.  Those cutesy little fellas in the advert seem to be having fun mind - but you can’t trust cuddly fabric, so crucially how is it to drive and how does it look in the flesh?

 

As I am still the new boy when it comes to road testing cars, I am faced with the daily anguish of opening my letterbox to find a distinct lack of keys to the latest Ferrari or Lamborghini, with a “have this for a week” note attached from Mr Lamborghini.  I have however, had the joy of driving the new Corsa and I don’t use the word ‘joy’ lightly.  Firstly however an anecdote…

 

My own car is a Hyundai Coupe, the automotive equivalent to Kelly Brook – pretty to look at with racy curves aplenty and great handling (particularly dancing the Salsa).However thanks to the balance of the universe , the stunning looks come at a price - it’s very slow and drinks like George Best did back in his more boozy days.  Despite this fact, one rain-drenched evening when all the sensible people were fast asleep, I found myself meandering around the twisty back roads on the outskirts of Cardiff, when what looked like a B & Q shed with wheels pulled up alongside me. 

 

It appeared the four youths had been on the sun bed, as there was a blue neon glow emanating from the shed and that’s when my inner eight year-old took over.I strained the small rodent in its little wheel to run quicker than ever before and the engine jumped into action.  As I left the shed and sun bed combo behind with Kelly’s wonderful handling, I thought to myself “nothing could handle this well”.To my surprise six months later I was proven wrong.

 

If my Coupe is Kelly Brook, then the new Vauxhall Corsa is Kate Thornton.  The design doesn’t rip your eyes clean out or make you go weak at the knees but it’s still an attractive hatchback.Importantly though, this car has brain power as well it features: CBC, ABS, EBA, DTC and SLS.You don’t need to concern yourself with what all the different acronyms mean, they pretty much all relate to safety and importantly for a city car handling.  I drove a 1.2 litre Corsa derivative during my high-brow summer break to Ibiza and fell in love. 

 

The island is split into the two best environments for testing a car: twisty mountain roads and city driving.Thinking of this I left my hotel high up on a sun soaked hillside and set of for Ibiza Town.The A/C quickly cooled the car, but I still felt the need to lean out the window and show the world the smug look on my face as I still had all four wheel trims.  I didn’t however shout “C’MON!”  The 1.2 litre engine was surprisingly willing and the car gripped as tightly through the hairpin turns as it did through the s-bends.

 

Hitting the main road towards the capital gave me time to reflect on the interior.The Corsa seemed to be well constructed with no irritating rattles or creaks which you seem to get in some cheaper cars, the driving position was also good giving me a decent chance of spotting the many crazy drivers and zombie like pedestrians.At times, I honestly could have been Bagdad, as nobody seemed to understand the conventional wisdom of ‘don’t crash into another car, it’ll do neither me nor you any good’. 

 

Emerging unscathed with a combination of cheeky handling and dumb luck, I arrived at Ibiza Town, wheel trims and all.  Parked against the backdrop of a billionaires’ playground of yachts in the harbour, the Corsa seemed somehow prettier.The good looks appeared to me to fit in well with the nearby fashion houses and the vibe of the big city.As night time set in, the light weight steering system and ultra responsive gearbox came into their element.There was a point when i took the wrong turning.  Well by wrong turn I mean turning into a dead-end street complete with drug dealers, ladies of the night and no La Policia in sight.

 

For some this may seem like a perfect night out, not for me and Kate though.  It was a ludicrous situation really, these burly druggies being crept up on by the Corsa, with its lop-sided grin and surprised eyes.  I’m pleased to announce that the excellent turning circle allowed me to deliver a swift three-point-turn and chirp off onto better climes within the big smoke.  The next day, Kate had to be returned and with a heavy heart I did so, wheel trims and all – she really will be the envy of the rental company’s car park.

 

The small hatchback market is one of the toughest to conquer, but I really think Vauxhall have produced a worthy competitor.  When I think of the Corsa I think of chirpy, cheeky, cute and cuddlesome.  Coupled with the handling this is a fun car and ideal for any urban jungle.So if you want to get yourself a nice city car just remember: city plus fun take away cost equals Vauxhall dealer.  “C’MON!”  Ah damn it.

 

No comments: