Friday, November 21, 2008

Save Big With Used Cars

We all know that driving a car off the lot causes to drop in price by two thirds. Pretty much all people know this, but they still get new cars. Get this: depreciation of a new car actually costs you more than the gas ever will.

Let me tell you a story. I drive a 1990 Honda Accord with over 200,000 miles on it. It cost me $1700 six years ago when I bought it, and I've been driving it ever since. It fuel efficient, is big enough for most of my needs, and as been generally reliable all things considered.

Of course, I've had to put in a few repairs here and there. I've needed to swap out an alternator, replace some brake pads, and change some hoses that were leaking. Total, I've spent about eight hundred dollars on repair parts over the time I've owned the car.

My insurance is cheap. Since the car is so old, I don't need comprehensive and collision insurance, which save me a lot on my monthly premiums. On the whole, this car is amazingly cheap. Is it sexy? Heck no, but it does it job while letting me spend my money on more important things.

Let's think about what a new car would cost to get us the same point A to point B functionality. Say you spend $20,000 or so on a new Accord. Right off the bat, you're out more than 10 times the price of my old Honda. Add more to that if you didn't pay in cash, and took out a loan.

You're going to need insurance. Since you just bought a shiny new car, you'll need both comprehensive and collision insurance, which can be high, especially for younger drivers in newer cars.

This car will still need money for maintenance. All this time, the car will be loosing significant amounts of its value. Do you think this is a good way of spending your hard earned cash?

Buying used will allow you to save a lot of money on the expense of owning a car. Imagine how much more free your monthly budget would be in the absence of expensive car payments and high insurance premiums. Buying a cheap used car buys you financial freedom.

No comments: